Therapies & services
*Physiotherapy* *Acupuncture* *Registered Massage Therapy* *Kinesiology* *Pilates* *Virtual Therapy/Video Visits* *AlterG Anti-Gravity Treadmill*
Physiotherapists (Physical Therapists) are health science professionals who have an advanced understanding of anatomy and pathology. Our manual therapy trained physiotherapists can help reduce your pain and restore your mobility, strength and function.
Our motto is our goal- to get you to "Feel better. Move better. Be better."
The physiotherapists at Concept Physiotherapy will work with your to achieve your rehab and fitness goals. We offer 1 on 1 appointments focused on you. Physiotherapy can work for injuries related backs, necks, shoulders, elbows, wrists, hands, hips, knees, feet and toes. We see sprains, strains, ligament tears, athletic injuries, work injuries and those related to car accidents. If you are in pain let us help. We can also work with you to prevent pains and injuries!
Your physiotherapist may use hands on, manual therapy techniques, as well as modalities (ultrasound, TENS, muscle stimulation, laser), acupuncture, taping and exercise prescription to help you achieve your goals.
In addition to all muscle/bone/joint related injuries, we have therapists specialized in concussion related injuries, and vertigo and dizziness related to vestibular disorders.
What to expect at your first Physiotherapy treatment
• A review of your past medical history.
• Your physiotherapist will listen to your story- Why are you seeking help today? What are your goals? What can we help you get back to doing?
• A thorough assessment will be performed. This may include range of motion, strength tests, and functional assessments. These tests allow the physio to determine the degree of your injury, and what the root cause of your pain is. Wearing loose fitting or clothes that are easy to move in is helpful for your therapist; shorts are available at the clinic if you need to borrow a pair.
• Your physio will discuss the findings of their assessment and will work with you to develop a treatment plan and obtain your consent to treat you.
• Treatment may include:
- joint mobilizations to correct alignment and movement dysfunctions.
- soft tissue manipulation and stretching to regain flexibility
- modalities such as ultrasound, interferential muscle stimulation, cold laser, TENS, or ice/heat therapy to reduce inflammation and decrease pain
- therapeutic and kineso-taping
• Throughout your session your physio will provide you with education on your injuries, posture, ergonomics, bracing, etc.
• You will be provided with an individualized home exercise program to maintain gains from the treatments.
• Your physiothearpist will discuss an appropriate follow up date and instructions for subsequent treatments.
Our physiotherapists are certified in the SHIFT concussion management program. We offer up-to-date treatment following your concussion, and offer baseline testing for individuals and teams.
Vestibular & Vertigo Treatment
Vertigo and dizziness can be debilitating but can be very treatable and symptoms can be significantly improved with the right treatment. If you suffer from vertigo or dizziness it may be related to your vestibular system. Our physiotherapists are trained to properly diagnose and treat vestibular disorders with hands on techniques. They can provide home exercises that keep you feeling well after the treatment and they can address any related issues such as headaches, or neck and back tension.
Acupuncture & Dry Needling/Intra Muscular Stimulation
Our therapists are certified by the Acupuncture Foundation of Canada (AFCI). Acupuncture can be used to encourage healing by stimulating the release of endorphins- the body's own natural pain relievers. It promotes increased circulation, and can decrease pain and inflammation.
Dry needling is a technique that can help decrease pain and muscle spasm. Dry needling uses needles to stimulate trigger points. This is done to promote circulation, decrease pain due to muscle spasm and tension in an overactive muscle. This treatment can help decrease pain, tension and tightness, and help improve flexibility and range of motion.
registered massage therapy
Registered massage therapy is a type of treatment that focuses on rehabilitation- restoring function and relieving pain. RMT's are health care professionals that use their hands and other tools to provide support and relief to injured or painful tissues. Treat pain, prevent injury or relieve stress. RMT's are covered by most extended benefit plans and we offer direct billing.
Kinesiologist are "human movement specialists". They work to prevent and treat illness or injury through targeted exercise testing and prescription. They work with you to improve your physical performance in every aspect of life. They work with all clients- private, ICBC and WCB.
Hydrotherapy sessions are overseen at the pool by our kinesiologist who creates, supervises and progress appropriate exercises to help you recover from an injury, or work towards your health and fitness goals.
in home programs
Have our kinesiologist come to your home- in person, or virtually to set up or implement your home exercise program. Get exercises that are tailored to you that will help you recover from an injury or achieve your health and fitness goals. We can meet on a regular schedule to keep you on track!
Pilates exercises focus on the basic principles or breathing, alignment and deep core connections. Concept Physiotherapy and Bliss Pilates have teamed up to offer you a unique approach to your rehab journey.
Your physiotherapist and Pilates instructor work together to guide you though your treatments and Pilates exercises specific to what your body needs to get stronger, long and move free from pain!
Physio Pilates Integration
See both your Physiotherapist and Pilates instructor in one session to get the most effective hands on treatment integrated with Pilates based exercises to support your rehab or fitness journey.
Virtual Therapy / Video Visits
Experience all that physiotherapy and kinesiology have to offer from the comfort of your own home. Get an injury assessed and receive treatment via your tablet, phone or home computer. Receive expert advice, specific to your injury and a tailored home exercise program to help you recover quickly.
ALTERG Anti-Gravity TREADMILL
“Ever wondered what it would feel like to Defy Gravity™ and walk on the moon? Or, wondered what it would feel like to walk or run without pain?? Now you can feel for yourself on the NASA inspired Anti-Gravity Treadmill!”
What Is It
The AlterG is a treadmill like no other. It allows precise un-weighting in one percent increments to as low as 20 percent of your body weight. AlterG’s unique precision gives you the ability to set the precise point where exercise becomes pain free and provides the clinicians a way to accurately measure your progress. AlterG is used and recommended by leading physical therapy clinics, hospitals, colleges and pro sports teams.
Who can use it?
Everyone! We offer different options for use of the AlterG. You can combine the treadmill use with your physio session or you can use it on a drop-in basis, purchase a punch pass or join our monthly membership program. You do not have to be a physiotherapy client of ours to use the treadmill.
The Anti-Gravity Treadmill is FDA cleared for:
• Rehabilitation following injury or surgery of the lower extremity (hip, knee, ankle or foot)
- Sprains, strains, fractures/breaks, partial and full tendon ruptures (Surgical and non surgical)
• Rehabilitation before and after total joint replacement
• Gait training in neurologic patients
- Some examples from clients who have used the treadmill
- multiple sclerosis, cerebral palsy, post-stroke, traumatic brain injury, and incomplete spinal cord injury
• Strengthening and conditioning for seniors
• Weight control and reduction
• Sport specific conditioning programs
- high intensity interval training, hill training, plyometric & agility training
• Aerobic conditioning
- offload some of the longer training runs to avoid overuse/repetitive strain injuries and decrease the impact through your joints
Why did we get it?
Concept Physiotherapy is the first and only clinic in BC to offer the AlterG Anti-Gravity Treadmill. We strive to stay on the leading edge of rehab and are committed to doing everything we can to get you better sooner. The treadmill is also an invaluable tool to prevent injuries before they occur.
“This equipment will revolutionize rehab and its arrival coincides with the increasing pressure to control the healthcare costs by significantly speeding up the recovery process.”
Karen Brown, PT, Owner - Alliance Physical Therapy, NE
How it works:
AlterG uses patented Differential Air Pressure (DAP) technology, developed at NASA. The treadmill applies a comfortable and uniform lifting force to your body. Integrated into a high-tech treadmill, AlterG’s technology offers precise body weight reduction and an easy-to-use set of controls. The AlterG is the only “un-weight¬ing” device that allows you to exercise at a reduced body weight while maintaining normal running or walking mechanics. The best way to undertand just how it feels is to get on it!