Therapies & services
*Physiotherapy* *Acupuncture* *Registered Massage Therapy* *Kinesiology* *Pilates* *AlterG Anit-Gravity Treadmill*
Physiotherapists (Physical Therapists) are health science professionals who have an advanced understanding of anatomy and pathology. Our manual therapy trained physiotherapists can help restore mobility, strength and function. Sprains, strains, ligament tears and other athletic injuries are a factor in most sports. Ultrasound, electrotherapy and other modalities can all be utilized to decrease pain and swelling and accelerate healing.
Our sports-orientated physiotherapists ensure professional and recreational athletes stay in the picture without risking more injury.
What to expect at your first treatment
• A past medical history form will be provided to be filled out upon your first visit. Please arrive 10 minutes prior to your first appointment to complete this paper work.
• Your physiotherapist will take a thorough history in which you explain what you are visiting for.
• A thorough assessment will be performed. This may include range of motion, strength tests, and functional assessments. These tests allow the physio to determine the degree of your injury, and what the root cause of your pain is. Wearing loose fitting or clothes that are easy to move in is helpful for your therapist; shorts are available at the clinic if you need to borrow a pair.
• Your physio will determine the treatment plan and obtain your consent to treat you.
• Treatment may include:
- joint mobilizations to correct alignment and movement dysfunctions.
- soft tissue manipulation and stretching to regain flexibility
- modalities such as ultrasound, interferential muscle stimulation, cold laser, TENS, or ice/heat therapy to reduce inflammation and decrease pain
- therapeutic and kineso-taping
• Throughout your session your physio will provide you with education on your injuries, posture, ergonomics, bracing, etc.
• You will be provided with an individualized home exercise program to maintain gains from the treatments.
• Your physio will discuss an appropriate follow up date and instructions for subsequent treatments.
ALTERG Anti-Gravity TREADMILL
“Ever wondered what it would feel like to Defy Gravity™ and walk on the moon? Or, wondered what it would feel like to walk or run without pain?? Now you can feel for yourself on the NASA inspired Anti-Gravity Treadmill!”
What Is It
The AlterG is a treadmill like no other. It allows precise un-weighting in one percent increments to as low as 20 percent of your body weight. AlterG’s unique precision gives you the ability to set the precise point where exercise becomes pain free and provides the clinicians a way to accurately measure your progress. AlterG is used and recommended by leading physical therapy clinics, hospitals, colleges and pro sports teams.
Who can use it?
Everyone! We offer different options for use of the AlterG. You can combine the treadmill use with your physio session or you can use it on a drop-in basis, purchase a punch pass or join our monthly membership program. You do not have to be a physiotherapy client of ours to use the treadmill.
What would you use it for?
The Anti-Gravity Treadmill is FDA cleared for:
• Rehabilitation following injury or surgery of the lower extremity (hip, knee, ankle or foot)
- Sprains, strains, fractures/breaks, partial and full tendon ruptures (Surgical and non surgical)
• Rehabilitation before and after total joint replacement
• Gait training in neurologic patients
- Some examples from clients who have used the treadmill
- multiple sclerosis, cerebral palsy, post-stroke, traumatic brain injury, and incomplete spinal cord injury
• Strengthening and conditioning for seniors
• Weight control and reduction
• Sport specific conditioning programs
- high intensity interval training, hill training, plyometric & agility training
• Aerobic conditioning
- offload some of the longer training runs to avoid overuse/repetitive strain injuries and decrease the impact through your joints
Why did we get it?
Concept Physiotherapy is the first and only clinic in BC to offer the AlterG Anti-Gravity Treadmill. We strive to stay on the leading edge of rehab and are committed to doing everything we can to get you better sooner. The treadmill is also an invaluable tool to prevent injuries before they occur.
“This equipment will revolutionize rehab and its arrival coincides with the increasing pressure to control the healthcare costs by significantly speeding up the recovery process.”
Karen Brown, PT, Owner - Alliance Physical Therapy, NE
How it works:
AlterG uses patented Differential Air Pressure (DAP) technology, developed at NASA. The treadmill applies a comfortable and uniform lifting force to your body. Integrated into a high-tech treadmill, AlterG’s technology offers precise body weight reduction and an easy-to-use set of controls. The AlterG is the only “un-weight¬ing” device that allows you to exercise at a reduced body weight while maintaining normal running or walking mechanics. The best way to undertand just how it feels is to get on it!